Submission Deadline extended to: June15, 2022
The Dissertation Award honors outstanding scientists early in their careers and to help defray costs of attending the meeting. The winner of this award will received a $700 cash award, and engraved plaque and be invited to give a special presentation of his/her dissertation at the annual meeting. Nominations may be made only by a regular (non-student) member of the Society. The nominee must be a current ISDP Student or Postdoc Member and have successfully completed their doctoral defense and been granted their degree within 18 months prior to the nomination.
Criteria for the award: (in addition to criteria mentioned above)
a. The applicant/nominee must be a member of ISDP
b. The applicant/nominee has not won this award in the past
c. The applicant/nominee must have an overall good academic record
d. The applicant/nominee’s work must show originality and significance
e. The applicant/nominee must be committed to the field of Developmental Psychobiology show promise of a career in this field
1. A letter of nomination/recommendation from the student’s research advisor that documents the student’s status, the level of independence of the student’s contribution. Note: the letter of nomination for this award has to be by a Regular or Early-Career Member of the ISDP and should focus on discussing the quality of the nominee’s dissertation research.
2. Applicant’s current CV.
3. Applicant’s abstract of the dissertation.
4. A summary of the dissertation, not to exceed 7 double-spaced pages
Dissertation Award Winners:
2021 Dissertation Award Winner: Kristie L. Poole, PhD, Postdoctoral Fellow, University of Waterloo, Waterloo, ON, Canada, Social Development Lab, Department of Psychology @Poole_Kristie
– Postdoctoral Supervisor: Dr. Heather A. Henderson
Ph.D., Developmental Psychology; McMaster University, Child Emotion Lab, Department of Psychology, Neuroscience, & Behaviour Dissertation: The origins and heterogeneity of shyness: A developmental, biological perspective, Supervisor: Dr. Louis A. Schmidt
2020 Dissertation Award Winner:Morgan Reiss Firestein, Department of Psychiatry, Division of Developmental Neuroscience, Columbia University Medical Center, New York, NY USA
– Postdoctoral Mentor: William Fifer, Columbia University in the City; Dissertation Mentor: Frances Champagne, Columbia University in the City
2019 Dissertation Award Winner: Virginia C. Salo, Postdoctoral Fellow, Stress and Early Adversity Laboratory, Vanderbilt University, Department of Psychology and Human Development, Nashville, Research – Postdoctoral Mentor: Kathryn L. Humphreys, PhD, Ed.M.; Dissertation Mentor: Nathan Fox, PhD
2018 Dissertation Award Winner: Caitlin Cowan, University of Sydney, Sydney, Australia (formerly, Caitlin Cowan, APC Microbiome Institute, University College Cork, Ireland) – Dissertation Mentor: Rick Richardson, University of New South Wales
2017 Dissertation Award Winner: Rosemarie Perry, Postdoctoral Research Scientist NYU, Neuroscience and Education Lab,